Donuts with Apple Dipping Sauce
This autumn we have been blessed with a bumper harvest of apples! It’s useful then, to find culinary inspiration, for new ways to use and celebrate these delicious fruits.
At the Autumn 2022 Show, TV cook and chef consultant Stephanie Moon took to The Great Northern Larder stage to create a mouth-watering collection of dishes using a selection of different apple varieties.
Here is her recipe for Donuts with Apple Dipping Sauce - absolutely delicious!
- 3 Bramley apples
- 2 tbsp caster sugar (sauce)
- 250g pot of ricotta
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp caster sugar (donut mixture)
- 200g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp caster sugar (for dusting)
- A light oil for frying like Canola or Sunflower oil
- First make the apple dipping sauce. Peel, core and cut the apples into wedges and cook slowly with 4 heaped tablespoons of caster sugar in a pan. Once soft, blend to make a smooth sharp dipping sauce. Set aside until the donuts are ready.
- Whisk the ricotta, eggs, vanilla, and caster sugar together in a bowl until smooth.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and a large pinch of salt and fold to incorporate.
- Add oil to a wide and deep pan – you will need the oil to be about one inch deep. Carefully heat the oil over a medium-high heat until hot.
- Using a small spoon, scoop and drop the donut mixture into the fryer – cook in batches of 3-4 scoops at a time. Cook for 1-2 minutes until golden and then flip over to cook the other side. Once cooked, carefully remove from the pan using a slotted spoon, taking care to drain away the excess oil, and leave to rest on kitchen paper while you cook the rest.
- When all the donuts are cooked, add them to the bowl of mixed caster sugar and ground cinnamon and dust thoroughly. Serve immediately with the apple dipping sauce.